Noticeably larger crowds are filling the Franklin County gymnasium these days despite snow-covered roads. Those in attendance last Friday were treated to an intriguing overtime contest between the Wildcats and visiting Greenfield-Central. The Cougars outscored FC in the extra session to win 56-53.

Sophomore Jace Lee, who opened fourth-quarter scoring with a kickout three, sparked a 7-0 Wildcat run when he was fouled on another 3-point attempt near the 5-minute mark. He sank two of the three chances to pull his team within four at 43-39. A driving layup and 3-pointer from classmate Brant Ertel gave the Cats their first lead since Chad Cox's 10-footer made it 2-0 two minutes in.

Unfortunately for FC, it was the last lead they'd enjoy as Joey Roland laid one in at the other end for a 45-44 GC lead. Rashawn Street finished a steal at midcourt but, out of a timeout, junior Bridger Bolos connected for three and a 47-all tie. There was still 2:07 left in regulation but neither side could find the bottom of the net. Dylan Moles intercepted an inbound pass for the Cougars, setting them up for a final shot. That try was swatted away by Bolos in the paint, giving the fans free basketball.

More trouble with inbounding resulted in a GC steal and Moles' field goal early in overtime. With 1:55 to go, Bolos tied things at 49 after a Cougar turnover. Greenfield, whose long-distance shooting was lethal in the first half but quieter in the second, landed a key triple on the next possession (Adam Lester) to force a full timeout by head coach Eric Ebrens.

Cox hit a jumper after another FC 60-second break to make it 52-51. The Cats had committed just three fouls since halftime so had to foul in succession to put GC at the line. The Cougars converted 4 of 5 in the last 30 seconds and the Wildcats missed a pair of late shots to seal it for the guests.
Only a 2-2 game midway through the opening quarter, Gavin Robertson made the first of GC's eight 3-pointers to kickstart the Cougar offense. Junior JD Stokes scored inside but Moles hit back-to-back 3-balls and Roland went coast to coast for a 13-4 lead.

In the last seconds of the first, Bolos was at the foul line for an and-1; Stokes gathered in the missed free throw and made it a 5-point game going into the next frame.

The 6-0 run was capped by a Cox runner ahead of a Lester three. Cox, who ended up with a game-high 20 points, hit his only 3 but Robertson answered from deep.

About a minute later, Stokes had a scare when he banged his head on the court in a rebound tussle. He would not return to the game. The Cougars went up by seven again on a teardrop by Street. In the last minute, Aden Gerrian fed Ertel for a basket and a 25-19 count at halftime.

Greenfield pushed its lead to 10 on two interior buckets when play resumed. Cox responded with a pair of successful drives before Moles made it 32-23 on a trey. Gerrian again assisted Ertel, this time from outside the arc, but Moles got the 3 points right back. GC had its biggest lead of the game at 11 when a steal led to a Moles hoop.

Will VanDuyn put the visitors up 39-28 with a transition score. FC then embarked on a 9-0 run, Ertel, Bolos and Cox all scoring to close out the third.
Moles topped GC with 18 points and Lester had 12. Ertel scored a dozen for FC. Bolos had 9 points, adding 6 rebounds and 3 steals. Senior Lucas Stacy had 3 steals and 3 assists.

FC (7-10) was scheduled to play at Milan Tuesday (results not available at press time) and will host the annual Beat Cancer in 4 Quarters game Friday vs. rival Connersville. Check or @AthleticsFchs on Twitter for weather-related announcements.

GC (11-8) – Robertson 8 (2-3s), McIntire 2, VanDuyn 2, Lester 12 (2-3s), Roland 8, Street 6, Moles 18 (4-3s)
FC (7-10) – Bolos 9 (3), Cox 20 (3), Ertel 12 (2-3s), Stacy 3, Stokes 4, Lee 5 (3)